Guest post by Jennifer Kilduff, founder of The Lice Chicks, Inc.
Did you know that the holidays are a prime opportunity for Ol’ St. NIT to spread some holiday cheer?! Visiting family and friends, hugs, pictures, sleepovers, cuddling, and all of the wonderful things that make holiday time so special, also put us at risk for head lice.
After the holidays, we see a big surge in head lice infestations due to the nature of the season. Therefore, parents must be proactive and check their children’s hair regularly in the following weeks to catch an infestation at the onset. Here are a few tips…
- Schedule a head check at your local lice salon. If you have any symptoms or concerns, an infestation can be spotted by a professional at the onset and treated immediately.
- “Take a peek once a week” as always, but especially during the next few weeks.
- Wear long hair up in a ponytail, braid or bun.
- Be sure to use an all-natural lice shampoo and conditioner, and/or a mint-scented lice spray. The more minty you smell, the less desirable your head will be.
- Remind your family that most lice spread through head to head contact and/or by sharing personal items like brushes and hats.
The Lice Chicks are certified, professional lice removal specialists that employ the Shepherd Method of “Strand by Strand” lice and nit removal. Located in Jefferson Valley, they’re available to help parents throughout the Hudson Valley who are battling a head lice infestation. They will be hosting a free head check week the week of January 22nd to educate families on head lice detection in response to this busy time. If you would like more information on lice prevention, detection, and treatment, please contact The Lice Chicks at 914-302-2927 or visit them on the web at www.thelicechicks.com.